The mechanism called Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation in developing countries (REDD+) was entered into the Cancun Agreement, validated by the 16th session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in December 2010.
The Cancun Agreement encourages all Parties to the UNFCCC to undertake efforts in reducing deforestation and degradation and increasing forest carbon stocks in developing countries:
• reducing emissions from deforestation
• reducing emissions from forest degradation
• conserving forest carbon stocks
• sustainable forest management
• increasing forest carbon stocks